Field Cottage is home to two avid cheese fans. M & I dont like to see a week go past with out some kind of cheese action – and with Christmas only weeks ago our fridge is harboring many a tasty morsel. However, even we cant deal with a cheese board every night – my tummy doesnt thank me for my cheese binges! And that is where this recipe came to our rescue – an exceptable way to use & eat way too much cheese without ever knowing it.
Ok so you do know it – but its worth every cheesey little calorie. Especially on a cold winter night ….. picture the scene – fires lit, pjs on, cosy toes, warm nose – you know what that picture is missing? Yeap you guessed it, a HUGE bowl of macaroni cheese! We used 4 different types of cheese in this masterpiece, but its just as good with mature cheddar – trust me, Im well practiced 😉 In fact, Id say it is almost essential to use at least 100g of a good full flavoured cheddar. It just gives it that extra oomph! ….. Please dont say it needs bacon / parma ham to give it oomph – mess with my macaroni cheese & Ill be upset….
- 500g Penne Pasta ( or Macaroni if you wanna make it true )
- 4tbsp Butter
- 2 Diced Garlic Cloves
- 3tsp Mustard Powder
- 4tbsp Plain Flour
- 600ml Whole Milk
- 350g Mixed Grated Cheese ( Basically ALL of the cheese)
- Boil & then simmer your pasta for roughly 2 minutes less than the stated cooking time. You want it to be slightly firmer than your usual al dente.
- Meanwhile you can make a start on your cheese sauce - on a medium heat add the butter & mustard powder to a frying pan & gently fry off the garlic. Whisk in the flour to make a roux. Allow to cook for 1 minute.
- Add milk slowly whilst whisking to ensure a lump free sauce. Simmer for approx 5 minute or until sauce has thickened. Lower heat & fold in 300g of the cheese.
- Combine the pasta & sauce and pour into a large over proof dish - sprinkle over the remaining cheese.
- Bake for approx 20mins @ 180c - until the top is browned & lovely!
It reheats pretty damn well too – now get to it, comfort food a go-go 😉 Also, check out that oven – its a good’un!
Forgive the photographs – I hadnt intended to share this recipe, but it was so good, and instagram loved it. So I had to! Whats your favourite comfort food?