Lemon is one of those flavours I cant help but love – especially as the sun starts to shine! Citrus bursts work almost as well as a coffee when it comes to waking me up from that mid afternoon slump. And it really doesnt get any better than this lushious lemon loaf cake. Juicy & moist – with a slightly stodgy comforting centre, and a sharp sweet finish. Its a winner as far as Im concerned!
- 125g Softened Butter
- 250g Caster Sugar
- 2 Medium Free Range Eggs
- 125g Self Raising Flour
- 2tbsp Plain Yogurt
- 2 Lemons - Zest & Juice
- Line your loaf tin & preheat oven to 160c
- Whisk butter and 200g caster sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the flour, eggs & yogurt and mix until just combined. - followed by the zest and juice of one lemon.
- Transfer into the loaf tin and bake in the oven for approx 40 minutes - or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Leave to cool for 10minutes - whilst combining the remaining lemon juice, zest and sugar.
- Prick the cake around 15 times with skewer before drizzling the mix over. Making sure to spread evenly to ensure maximum moistness!
- Leave to cool completely before serving.
The recipe works equally well for teeny cupcakes – you should get 12 perfect mini cake. A great option for a picnic treat! Lemon cake is my favourite for the moment. And I can testify to that by having eaten WAY to many in the past few days…. hours ( read: while writing this post )
Whats your favourite picnic cake? Id love some more inspiration for Spring indulgence 🙂