The aim of ‘To the Last Bite’ is to try to tackle food waste in the home. And as a member of the ‘foodie’ community I passionately care about where our food comes from, and where it goes! Did you know that worldwide we use land 165 times the size of Ireland to grow food that is never eaten? That’s a waste of resources before you even begin to question where it goes when it is thrown away. 180,000 tonnes of perfectly good delicious food goes to waste from our Irish homes every year! That’s enough food to feed 100.000 families for a year. It’s time we took action and put a stop to food waste on such an epic scale. If not for the good of the nation – then for the good of your own bank balance.
Each week, for the next 12 weeks, @FoodCloudire will highlight a food that is commonly wasted. And I shall happily provide you with a wonderful recipe to help you make the most of that lurking produce! You can follow all the blog and photo action from everyone joining in via the hashtags #StopFoodWaste #FoodCloud #ToTheLastBite
To The Last Bite – Week One – Mushrooms
Did you know that 27% of all mushrooms that are produced go to waste! Most of this waste happens in the home – so we can have a real impact on saving this food from the bin. They are healthy, versatile and a smashing source of Vitamin D before you even start on the warming Autumnal flavour they add to a dish.
The following recipe for Chicken, Mushroom & Tarragon Pasta is an quick and easy mid-week supper, that feels richly indulgent ♥
To The Last Bite - Week One - Mushrooms.
- 2 chicken breasts – cut into small pieces
- 6 small mushrooms – thinly sliced
- 200g of your favourite pasta
- 2 sprigs of tarragon – approx 4tbsp when chopped up
- 2 small red onions – diced
- 2 garlic cloves – finely sliced
- 150 mls single cream
- Cook chicken through and remove from the pan.
- Start to cook your pasta - following the instructions on the packet. You may need to start later on in the process, especially if you are using fresh pasta.
- Drizzle Olive oil into your pan before adding the onions. Gently cook on a medium heat for 2/3 until they start to soften.
- Add mushrooms and continue to fry for approx 8 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
- Add the tarragon, followed by the cream and a tablespoon of the pasta water. Bring to a gentle simmer.
- Pop the chicken back into the pan, and cook for a further 3/4 minutes until the chicken is heated through.
- Drain the pasta, and add to sauce/chicken. Mix through and serve!
Do you create much waste in your home kitchen? What do you find yourself throwing out/panic using most often?