This is your last chance to gather wild garlic… So get out there and gather it good!
When wild garlic flowers are in full bloom, and the leaves are starting to fade – there are few recipes that showcase the earthy flavour well. Young leaves have a wonderful sweetness. That disappears with age. So, avoid making wild garlic pesto with your waning crop. Add it to butter if you want to hold onto that taste of spring for a while. But I’d recommend taking little and often, for little flourishes to complement your meals.
A few leaves through a stir fry. Finely chopped, and used to pimp up your Bolognese. Grab a few leaves here and there and add them to your favourite ( savoury ) recipes! That’s certainly how this wild garlic flatbread came about…
And so we have Wild Garlic Flatbread
We are fans of bread. MASSIVE fans of bread. Give me a plate of cheese, charcuterie and bread – and I couldn’t be happier. But many breads take time. Time and skill. I don’t always have the time to bake bread. I often question if I have the skill. But there is always time for flatbread! That’s why little more than moments thought, had me gathering leaves in the garden. Thank you Mother Nature… Wild garlic flatbread ready less than 15minutes later. #WinningAtLife
Laura Anne Bradley
5 minPrep Time
8 minCook Time
13 minTotal Time
- 1 1/2 Cups of Self Raising Flour
- 1 Cup of Greek Yoghurt
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- A Pinch of Salt
- 3 Wild Garlic Leaves - finely sliced
- Generous Knob of Butter
- Add flatbread ingredients to a mixing bowl and combine.
- Use clean hands to pat and bring everything together, before tipping the mixture onto a floured surface / board.
- Knead to bring together. If the mix will not form into a ball, add a tsp of warm water; and continue to knead.
- Once the dough can be shaped into a ball - do so. Before cutting the round into four equal part.
- Flatten the quarters with a rolling pan ( or the palm of your hand! ) Until approx 1cm thick.
- Heat a griddle pan ( a normal frying pan will do ) to a high heat. Cook one flat bread at a time, for 1 minute on each side. You will know they are done, as they will puff up!
- Finish hot flatbreads with a lick of butter. Place in a warm oven to keep warm while you finish the batch.
Make the most of wild garlic season with these beauties. Enjoy with almost anything!
Let me know what your favourite wild garlic recipes are! 💚